Mina Jo Powell Alumni Green
Historic, peaceful and calm – an apt description of the sloping green space just steps away from Westcott Plaza. Named in honor of Mina Jo Powell, who was a lifelong contributor to FSU and passionate advocate of natural, open spaces on campus. The year she graduated, 1950, was a turning point, marking the first class of men to graduate from Florida State University and the end of a nearly 50-year tradition of holding commencement ceremonies on this very lawn. The green was dedicated in 1990 by then–President Bernie Sliger, “… in honor of the generations of students who find on this campus their sunny hours of learning and friendship.”
There are two in-ground bronze plaques that face skyward but reveal no past. Years of weathering have erased the inscriptions but some experts believe they mark the spot of Florida A&M University’s humble beginnings. Today, the green remains a quiet gathering place for students, faculty and visitors and provides the perfect backdrop for special occasions.