Statue of President George Matthews Edgar
Next to the Westcott building stands a tall and proud bronze statue of George Edgar, who seems to be keeping watch over history. Edgar was the first president of the Seminary West of the Suwannee River, an early predecessor of Florida State University. He served as president from 1887 – 1892 and first called the West Florida Seminary “Florida State University” during his Commencement address in June 1891.
Edgar’s statue is flanked on the north by the Mina Jo Powell green space. Follow the sidewalk at the foot of Edgar’s statue along the rear of the College of Criminology and Criminal Justice Building.