Dodd Hall

Dodd Hall is the most elaborate example of Collegiate Gothic architecture on campus. The smaller west wing was built in 1925. The larger east and south wings were constructed between 1928 and 1929, bringing the building to its current configuration. Over the main entrance, rendered in gold leaf, is the phrase “The half of knowledge is to know where to find knowledge.” Home to the library until 1956 when Strozier Library opened, Dodd Hall has since housed the College of Arts and Sciences, the Philosophy Department and WFSU-TV. In 1961, the building was renamed in honor of William George Dodd, a former English professor and Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences from 1910 to 1944. Dodd Hall was completely renovated in 1991 and retains both interior and exterior architectural integrity. Even the construction of the new Dodd Hall Auditorium in 1991-1993 did not detract from the building’s architectural presence.

When entering the lobby of Dodd Hall, please note the beautiful painting ceiling and the large oil painting on the rear east wall. Commissioned by the Class of 1949 and painted by renowned artist and FSU alumna Artemis Housewright, the painting depicts historic structures and local flora and fauna.

The Heritage Museum, nee Werkmeister Humanities Reading Room, is located in the original west wing of Dodd Hall – the oldest part of the building. At the west end of the Museum is a memorial stained glass window depicting four of the university’s best-known buildings. This window was designed by Professor Emeritus Ivan Johnson and created by FSU Alumni Bob and Jo Ann Bischoff and is twenty-two feet tall and ten feet wide and consists of more than 10,000 pieces of glass. This spectacular stained glass window was unveiled and dedicated on October 31, 1997, as the first phase of a total restoration begun under the tenure of 13th President of FSU Sandy D’Alemberte and continued by Presidents T. K. Wetherell and Eric Barron. Lining the north and south sides of the Museum are tall and stately multi-paned glass windows. Over the course of the last few years, alumni and donors have commissioned approximately 20 stained glass windows commemorating legacy organizations and individuals important to the growth and success of Florida State University. These include, among others, the FSU Circus, the Tarpon Club, Heritage Tower, Women’s F Club, The President’s House, President Emeritus Doak S. Campbell and the Seminole Tribe of Florida. This beautiful room continues to awe and delight faculty, staff, students, alumni and visitors from far and wide. Public hours of visitation are maintained by University Libraries staff and volunteers. Curation of exhibits and archival support for donations of artifacts is also provided by Strozier faculty and archivists.


Next to Dodd Hall, to the east, are the final two stops of Phase I of FSU’s Legacy Walk.